Dad, mum and baby burnt to death in house fire in Benin

by Agunbiade Sanya December 27, 2018, 8:42 am314Comments

A couple and their baby have lost their lives in a house fire in Benin City, Edo State on Christmas day.

The fire which reportedly started at about 2 am, ‎also razed the belongings of other tenants of No 27, Mabel Street, off Etete Road, Benin City.

Dad, mum and baby burnt to death in house fire in Benin lailasnews 3
Dad, mum and baby burnt to death in house fire in Benin

According to witnesses, the family members, husband, wife and their baby, who could not be identified, were consumed by the fire before help could reach them.

The landlord of the house, Mr. Egberamwen Nosakhare, said the fire started at 2a.m. when he saw smoke billowing from one of the tenants’ room.

“I forced the door opened and saw flames of fire from the gas cooker and there was nothing I could do. I was helpless and could not go in.

The family died in the inferno.” A tenant, Mrs. Osayande Joseph, said she ran into her room to pick up her child and escaped through the back door.

Share

A neighbour, Okhuoghae Osawaru, said:

“The affected family was inside the house when the fire started. The man is a hard-working man.

He just returned from outstation to celebrate Christmas with his wife and baby. He was humble and nice. It was a pity for it to happen on Christmas day.”

Facebook Comments

Check Also

Ondo State governor, Rotimi Akeredolu sacks nine permanent secretaries

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has reportedly ordered nine permanent secretaries in the state ...

We arrested 2,175 kidnapping suspects, others in two months – Police IG

The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, on Wednesday gave an update on the Operation Puff ...

%d bloggers like this: