I’ve learnt my lesson – Yunusa ‘Yellow’

Dahiru, also known as ‘Yellow’, a Kano indigene accused of kidnapping Bayelsa indigene Ese Charles Oruru, said his time in prison has taught him a great lesson. He is said to have kidnapped his teenage heartthrob to Kano State without the consent of her parents sometime in August last year.Speaking to Daily Trust in Kano on the day he returned to the state, Yunusa said: “This case has taught me a lot. I will be cautious on how to relate with others in the future. I am sure my life will change after all this.”

He also said prison officials treated him fairly. “They took good care of me, my ethnic extraction notwithstanding. I fed like other inmates and whenever I request for something, they would oblige,” Yunusa said.

He further explained that his relationship with other inmates was very cordial, as according to him none of the inmates showed him any discrimination because he was Hausa, or Muslim.

However, he said this might not be unconnected with the protection he got from the Muslim Lawyers Association of Nigeria (MULAN), an association, which he said has played a significant role in protecting his rights.

“Members of the association have been up and doing to defend me before the court since the case was mentioned. They always attend the court sittings. They had not relented in their efforts until they have succeeded in securing my bail. Presently, they have promised to continue with the case to its logical conclusion. They have been to Yenagoa several times because of my case.”

However, he said, now that he has reunited with his family, his father will look for a wife for him, as according to him, when he brought Ese to Tofar-Danga village, his father had told him that he would look for a potential bride for him, but later the issue was suspended after the unfortunate saga unfolded. “I am sure my father will bring the issue up, because he will not allow me to stay unmarried for longer. I am sure my parents would facilitate my marriage within a short time,” Yunusa said.

The young man was full of gratitude: “I thank everybody that directly or indirectly assisted me in my legal travails. I am the happiest person today because I am reuniting with my family after spending six months in jail. Though the case is not over, I am confident the truth will prevail.”

Also speaking, Chairman of MULAN, Kano State Chapter, Sheikh Mujiburrahman, commended the court for relaxing the bail conditions. He said: “The conditions laid down by the court were stringent and could not be fulfill. But our lawyers pleaded with the court and it relaxed the conditions and even at that we could not meet the conditions without the support of our Christian brothers who volunteered and stood for Yunusa. We could not meet the conditions because we could not produce a Bayelsa indigene traditional ruler that is residing there, and a state civil servant working in Bayelsa State to stand for Yunusa. But fortunately, we found one who voluntarily stepped up.”

On her part, Barrister Huwaila Muhammad Ibrahim, said, over 100 lawyers have volunteered to stand for Yunusa with Sheikh Alhaji Yunusa Usman (SAN) leading counsel.

When contacted on phone, Yunusa father Malam Dahiru Hassan expressed delight on the release of his son, saying “My son has arrived home safely. He was accompanied to his hometown Tofar-Danga village by a team of lawyers.” He added that this is a welcome development not only to his family members but to the entire people of Tofar-Danga village.

Bala explained that while Yunusa was in detention, they intensified prayers for his release and “now God the Almighty has answered our prayers. Today my son has reunited with his family. I thank all those facilitated the release of my son.” He said since the case began, the family has not been contacted by Yunusa or anyone else regarding the situation, until the day he was released.

Yunusa had brought Ese to his hometown Tofar-Danga village in Kura local government area of Kano State with the intent to marry her.

After the authorities had located their whereabouts, Yunusa and Ese were moved to Bayelsa State on the order of the then Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase. Later Yunusa was arraigned before a Federal High Court sitting Yenagoa, Bayelsa State on a five-count charge including kidnapping and forceful sexual intercourse with Ese, among others.

The court granted him bail, but because he could not meet the stringent conditions, Yunusa was detained in Bayelsa Prison for six months, until Friday, July 8, 2016 when he fulfilled the conditions, as mentioned earlier.

The court has adjourned the case till September 13, 2016 for continuation.

Culled from DAILY TRUST

Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/encounters/i-ve-learnt-my-lesson-yunusa-yellow/155558.html#BJbIB3pXDzEoMs5Z.99

Facebook Comments

Check Also

Ekiti state University student attempts suicide over his failure in one of his courses (photo)

A final year Accounting student of the Ekiti State University who was involved in the ...

Ondo State governor, Rotimi Akeredolu sacks nine permanent secretaries

Governor Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo State has reportedly ordered nine permanent secretaries in the state ...

%d bloggers like this: