FRSC to prosecute drivers over speed limiting device

By Our Correspondent

The Federal Road safety Corps (FRSC) has said implementation was to commence this October 1, but was postponed to January to allow drivers enough time to acquire the device, considering the economic realities of the country. Commander, Gombe Sector of the Command, David Mendie made the disclosure on Thursday during the flag-off of this year’s ‘ember months campaign in Gombe town.

He said the campaign for the device would be extended private vehicles in due course but had to be limited to commercials for now “because they are the ones that travel often, they are the ones that carry so man vehicles and they are the ones that are most frequently involved in crashes.”

“From January 2017, the full enforcement will start. And when the full enforcement starts, any vehicle apprehended this will either to pay the fine or are prosecuted or both or once you come to the command, the vehicle remains there until you pay for the device,” he stated.

The Secretary, Gombe State Transport Service, Abdullahi Umar Mohammed thumbed-up the FRSC on the speed-limiting device, saying his company had already obtained quotation from various vendors of the device with a view to installing it on all their vehicles.

He however aligned with the series of complaints by commercial vehicle operators who are mostly of the opinion that the device was too expensive.

He said: “It would be more appropriate if something cn be dine about the price. If the price can reduced, that automatically would force people to acquire it because it would have been made cheap and there would be no excuse.”

Facebook Comments

Check Also

Time to build a new world – Obiano

TIME TO BUILD A NEW WORLD… Being the text of the Acceptance Speech by the ...

Obiano set to be declared for 2nd term

Anambra governorship election results Posted By The Nation Idemili South LG 12 RAsb Registered voter ...