By Maxwell Adeyemi Adeleye
The governorship candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Edo State for September 28 election gubernatorial election, Pastor Ize Iyamu has called for calm among his supporters and the people of the state, promising to upturn the victory recorded for his opponent and eventual winner, Mr. Godwin Obaseki of the All Progressives Congress (APC).In a statement personally signed by him and sent to Blackface News on Saturday, Iyamu, a Pastor at the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) said the graveyard silence that has enveloped Edo State since Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declared Obasekin as Governor-elect is an evidence that the will of the people of the state has been circumvented.
Below is the full text of the press statement as sent to Blackface News.
My good people of Edo State
1. I am Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, the governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party. I thank each and everyone of you for the wonderful turn out we all saw on September 28 2016 during the Edo state governorship elections.
2. Though we have our doubts about the results as announced by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, I appreciate your massive turn out which is unprecedented in the history of governorship elections in our state. You defied all fears and threats and still turned out massively to vote the candidate of your choice.
3. There is no doubt that the results declared by INEC gives all of us cause for concern. For example the so-called winner of the elections was credited with less than 320, 000 votes while I who INEC claimed lost was credited with less than 300, 000 votes. This is not true. The results exposes the fraud orchestrated by INEC. The incident was nothing short of pre-arranged allocation of votes. That is why despite the so-called victory, we are all witnesses to the gloom and sadness that has enveloped the state ever since.
4. More than the results of the elections, I thank God that no life was lost before and during the elections, despite all plans by certain political parties. This was our prayer to God that no life should be lost in the course of the elections.
5. I appeal to all of us, Edo people who feel dissatisfied not to take the laws into your hands or engage in violent demonstrations or destruction of public property. We still have many options. We can go to the elections tribunal. We can call a World Press Conference to let the world know what transpired or we can leave everything to God.
6. No matter how you feel, please conduct yourselves in civilized manner because the will of God must prevail. If God says I Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu will be governor, no amount of rigging can stop it. So we must keep hope alive. Let us continue to hope and believe in our country.
7. I thank you for the confidence you reposed in me and my running mate, Hon John Yakubu. I believe that democracy remains the best option for us as a people despite all its imperfections. I also believe that we must remain committed to getting it right as a people and a nation.
8. I still say the future is now. I salute you and I appreciate your courage. God bless Edo state. And God bless Nigeria.
Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu
PDP Governorship candidate
29th September 2016.