By Sunday Aloba, Ado-Ekiti
Chairman of Ekiti State Universal Basic Education Board, Senator Bode Ola has accused the immediate past governor of the state, Dr. Kayode Fayemi of diverting the sum of N852 being counterpart funding for a project in 2012.According to Ola, the development has prevented the commission from accessing nearly N5 billion from the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) since the last four years.
Ola disclosed this in an interview with a weekly Yoruba Television programme, ” Ela Loro” in Ado-Ekition Sunday, saying the money was UBEC’s fund for the state in 2012 which the last state government used for something else.
“Ekiti has up to N5 billon hanging in Abuja now, over N1billion for 2013, N890 million for 2014, N1billon plus for 2015, and N1billion for 2016 but Ekiti cannot access this money because of the diversion of N852 million SUBEB money by the Fayemi administration in 2012.
“This has brought untold hardship to SUBEB and primary school education. As the chairman of Ekiti SUBEB, I am sad, Ekiti is being left behind by other states due to lack of fund.The irony of it is that those who committed this crime are not showing remorse, rather they are using the media to dish out lies against the Fayose Administration.
“I am sad because the poor man’s children that should benefit from the fund are really suffering because they have used the SUBEB money to carry out jobs between themselves to the disadvantage of the poor man’s children.
â€œThey deliberately caused hardship for the government of Governor Ayodele Fayose because since then an embargo has been placed on the state from accessing the funds. So now the one for 2013, 2014, 2015 and even papers for 2016 have been brought to the state SUBEB but cannot be accessed because of the fraud committed by the Fayemi Administration.
“They went and borrowed money from bank and after the FG had paid their own part, they misused everything leaving the board with nothing to work with and be of help to the poor children that would have benefited from the use of the fund.
“When I came on board, I discovered the fraud and even the UBEC Chairman disclosed this crime committed by Fayemi administration when he appeared before the Senate some months ago,”he said.
He also recalled that the former governor refused to appear before the Ekiti House of Assembly when they summoned him over the allegation.
On how the board has been managing since, Ola said they rely on subvention from the state government, but that it is not enough.