By Our Correspondent
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Saturday confirmed a fresh case of another payment of N162 m to a former Presidential spokesman, Dr. Doyin Okupe.Okupe who was a former Senior Special Assistant on Media to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan has also been granted bail by the EFCC on health grounds.
According to sources, operatives of the EFCC quizzed Okupe for collecting N162 million using his companies for the immediate past former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd), and Chanchaga Local Government in Niger State.
There was a mild drama as Okupe pleaded with the EFCC not to detain him because he has a heart problem, a plea that was accepted by the anti-graft agency who admitted him to bail on compassionate ground but with a condition that he should be reporting to the agency at intervals.
â€œHe has been coming to the EFCC over fresh allegations bordering on illicit payments received from the Office of the former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki, as well as strange payments to his companies by a council in Niger State.
â€œHe was quizzed over N50million which he collected in cash from the former NSA without record or accountability.
â€œWe also got evidence that a company that is owned by him, Romic Soil Fix International Limited, received N63million from Chanchaga Local Government of Niger State and another N13.5m from the same council, for reasons that are not stated.
â€œAnother company that is linked to Okupe, Abraham Telecoms Limited, allegedly received N35.5million from the NSA through the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).
â€œThe payments from the Chanchaga Local Government to Romic were made on November 21, 2014 during the PDP primary election and February 13, 2015, just before the general election.
â€œHe has not been able to explain the receipts and has been asked to be reporting at intervals. The reason he is not detained is because he claimed to have a heart condition and presented a medical report to back the claimâ€.
But Dasuki had last week said he was ready for trial in connection with the $2.1billion arms deals.
He insisted that he disbursed all the funds credited to the ONSA based on the directive of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan.
He said: â€œBased on the service rules in the security circle, I owe it a duty to obey the President and Commander-in-Chief. Ex-President Jonathan approved all the expenses incurred by the ONSA.
â€œI am ready to prove in court how we complied with the directive of the ex-President.â€